Subject: Re: Eye Piece Corrective Lenses
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 17:06:20 -0400

Amilcar asked:

<snip>
>Several years ago I  read that a camera's viewfinder is not a perfect zero
diopter (due to the difference between the apparent distance of the
focusing screen and other displays, I guess). I think generally it's a +1
diopter. Can you confirm this? A few block from were I live there's an
optician that just fills your requirements, although I would like to see
how he'll deal with a -7 diopter!
<snip>

You are correct that many SLR cameras have viewing screens that are
projected out to about 1 meter.  Most people, even adults needing reading
glasses, can focus on the viewing screen with their distance prescription
lenses.  In some cases, camera reviews will indicate that the focusing
screen and LEDs (for aperture and metering information) are not prjected
out to the same distance.  If the differences are small, its not a problem.

Myopic lenses are always thicker at the edge and thinnest in the center.
So a 10mm diameter corrective eye piece lens will still be rather thin.  If
it is made from a high index lens, with a refractive index of 1.55 or 1.60,
it will be thinner.  Even anti-reflective coatings can be applied to this
lens prior to edging to decrease reflections.

If this optician who offered to make a -7 diopter eye piece lens for you is
a friend, hold onto him.  He's going to work hard to make you happy.  On
the other hand, I'm sure he'd like to fill a prescription for spectacle
lenses as well.  I would prescribe 1 Day disposable lenses by Acuvue. Wear
them to photograph for the day and then simply throw them out.  Great idea
since your prescripion can change over the years.

Have a good weekend,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA