To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re[2]: Hand held shots at 1/2 sec.
From: "Tom Snyder" <Tom_Snyder@ed.gov>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 13:34:30 EST
Encoding: 26 Text

     The Leica M's low vibration levels, coupled with slow speed shutter
     dampening, enables excellent slow shutter speed performance.  It also
     contributes to the high quality pictures for which it is famous.  It
     is important to have high quality optics, but what counts are the film
     images which result from optical quality, focussing accuracy, film
     plane alignment, and steadiness.  All are critical factors.

     I have found that I consistently get better results at low shutter
     speeds with my 40 year old Leica M equipment than my new Nikon
     equipment, even though I know from my own lens tests that there is not
     much difference in lines per millimeter resolution.

     With the Leica M-3, I consider 1/15 to be a normal handheld shutter
     speed with static subjects and lenses shorter the 90mm. 1/8 of second
     is pretty reliable, but I have to start being careful.  1/4 second
     works, but it helps to brace on something like a wall or a table, etc.
     1/2 second requires some sort of brace for best results.  I do use the
     1 second under certain conditions.  Sometimes you can press the camera
     base against a wall (vertical) or lay it on a table-like thing or
     railing (horizontal) and use the 1 second exposure.  These techniques
     also work well at the 1/2 speed.  A little ingeniuity can really help
     the tripod challenged.

     Tom Snyder

Replies: Reply from Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> (Re: Re[2]: Hand held shots at 1/2 sec.)