To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 Suggestion Box...
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 19:33:35 -0500 (EST)

Dear L.U.G.-nuts.....as someone already so succinctly put it.....

I noticed a few interesting and very worthwhile suggestions and commnents
on how to improve the already-outstanding Leica M-6.  As Eric Wech already
wrote, they're still selling like hotcakes.  His adder for a price
reduction of about 5% is simply fantasy.

1) Supply and demand.  Until the demand falls thru the basement, the
prices won't drop a dime.  Why do they have to?  Find a rebate on a
hot-selling car!

2) With the weak U.S. dollar, the LAST thing you'll see is anything
imported cheap.  Reasonable, yes, but not cheap.  However, all things are
relative.  If anyone thinks the US government is gonna let the dollar get
stronger and jeopardize the balance of trade further, forget it!  But
don't forget, elections are coming.  A flat economy - however generated -
is bad for votes.  Leicaphiles, we're not gonna see any price relief.

3)  The Swiss economy - at last report - wasn't the best on Earth.  They're
not ready for foreign aid just yet but they're not gonna start selling off
high-profit items cheaply either.  Seen a bargain Rolex lately?  Not
hardly.  No, the Swiss are acutely aware of the voracious appetite
Americans have for Leicas, Rolexes and other non-essential items.
Hey....they didn't get to be the world's bankers by being stupid
businesspeople.

And....Leicas, as with many luxury items isn' really linked to a flat
economy anyway.  I remember the "ouchie" in early 90-92 and a friend of
mine at a BMW dealership was outselling Chevrolet salesmen right down the
road!  The Chevy buyer - perhaps linked to employment in manufacturing -
simply couldn't afford a new car.  The stereotypical BMW owner - perhaps a
little more involved in more high-tech segments of the business world -
was still chugging along nicely.  Yeah, he passed on buying the new boat
but sacrifices have to be made!

Watch!  (Not the timepiece, with your eyes!)  If we hit a post election
recession, someone take a poll of Leica sales.  I bet they don't drop 5
percent!

Add your M-6 fantasy bells and whistles - driving the price higher, of
course.  Or simply bite the bullet and get in now while the getting is
just about as good as it's gonna get.  Waiting on a cheaper Leica M-6
voluntarily from Switzerland is waiting for a train that simply isn't
coming.

Regards,

Tom Hodge