To: COREY.LEVENSON@roche.com
Subject: Re: Bakelite lens cases
From: royzart@connix.com (Roy Zartarian)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 19:25:30 -0500
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

>    Does anyone out there know if the bakelite lens cases made for various
>lenses ever had codenames? I have cases for the 2.8 Hektor, 3.5 Summaron, 5.0
>Summitar, 9.0 Elmar and 13.5 Hektor.

The 1954 Product Directory published by Leitz New York lists the following:

14,590 BOORW Plastic case for sm 28 Hektor, 35 Elmar/Summaron, 50 Elmar

14,600 BOOSK ditto for 50 Summitar, Summicron or Summarit

14,605 BOOPV ditto for 90 Elmar

14,610 BDOOZ ditto for 135 Hektor

Note that "plastic" is Leitz's word, not mine. The products, however, are
not illustrated in the catalog.

While I couldn't find references to or pictures of these items in other
standard literature (e.g. postwar Morgan & Morgan Leica Manuals, Lager,
Laney), I did note that the product codes for leather lens cases appearing
in a 1936 catalog reproduced in Lager's "Leica Literature" were the same as
those in the 1954 Product List.  One might safely assume that the codes for
the plastic cases remained unchanged during the period of their availability.

Written by Roy C. Zartarian
"The stone the builders rejected has become
the chief cornerstone"