Subject: [Leica] IMG: A Paean to the Planet
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 00:57:18 +0000

My wife and I went into central Dublin today to visit Trinity College
Dublin's Library and its Long Room. It is being renovated for
conservation purposes, so most of its shelves are empty. Instead there
is a temporary art installation of one very large item. The globe
dominating, is Luke Jerram's "Gaia" which being displayed during the
renovation and conservation of the library fittings and contents. The
1712 structure and all its contents are being minutely checked for
actual and potential issues.

The library contains the Book of Kells and many other literary
treasures, so my wife's culture group decided to visit to see the state
of things. I must admit I hadn't been it it for nearly 50 years, to my
shame. Now they have added on a huge annexe and lots of digital cultural
gee-gaws. It was certainly worth the admission fee, and I must go back
again next year. Luckily, as my wife is an alumnus, she can bring me in
for free. That said, as a photographic challenge, it is very problematic
- no flash, no tripods and plenty of wandering people in the harsh
contrasts.

I took a number of photographs, but here is one for starters.
The rotating Gaia installation at the library's Long Room
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Dublin/The+Long+Room+Trinity+College.jpg.html
Sony A7II with Zeiss 35/2.8 lens. Can be seen larger if desired.

It's huge and well away from me and my camera: probably 40 odd metres of
the 65 metres of the Long Room. Incidentally, for any sci-fi fans out
there the Long Room was used as the inspiration for a library in a Star
Wars film.

Here a Wikipedia link which has a proper photo of the room taken when
properly lit by its splendid windows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Trinity_College_Dublin

Douglas

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] IMG: A Paean to the Planet)