Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 4/8/2022: three Madrid dogs
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 21:53:57 +0200

My daughter has been visiting her brother in New Jersey for the past 2 week.
She came back this morning, and I had to pick her up in Madrid, about 4
hours drive from Alicante. Since the PhotoEspa?a festival is on right now, I
went to Madrid yesterday morning and spent all day visiting several photo
exhibitions. I saw much great and inspiring work, but for my daily pics I
show you three dogs.

I started my day with the most important exhibition, of photos by Catalan
photographer Francesc Catal?-Roca, at an exhibition centre of the Madrid
autonomous region. The exhibition was a total revelation that proved to me
conclusively that Catal?-Roca was one of the 2-3 greatest photographers of
the 20th century, far superior to some of our icons including
Cartier-Bresson, held back by being from what was than a cultural backwater
under a Fascist dictatorship and thus not on the radar screen of the
cognoscenti in New York, Paris, and other cultural capitals of the world. I
will write more about him later, but in the meantime here is the lady at the
front desk of the exhibition venue, with her assistant:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-NsJgzvs/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-NsJgzvs/A>

I had parked my car at the hotel and used the excellent Madrid metro to move
around the city throughout the day. I have no idea about the rules for
bringing dogs on the metro, but this is Spain and we are pragmatic here. I
took several photos of this fellow passenger, with my Fuji camera, with my
phone, and with my Olympus film camera. Here is the Fuji shot:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-MQzB73z/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-MQzB73z/A>

I finished the day with dinner at a Japanese restaurant in the Chueca
neighbourhood, a part of Madrid full of gay bars, vegan shops and otherwise
great vibes. I went there to see an exhibition of work by a Czech
photographer. Afterwards, I had dinner and on my way back to the metro, I
photographed my third dog of the day:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-qwNdSsq/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-qwNdSsq/A>

I had a great day in Madrid, despite the temperatures approaching 40C,
making it a bit challenging to walk around. Fortunately, cold beer is widely
available ;-)

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman