Subject: [Leica] Jupiter/IUpiter lenses
From: leica-users at terrier.ampexguy.com (Howard Sanner)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 17:13:34 -0700

A couple of weeks ago someone on this forum suggested taking pictures
with lenses made in the Ukraine and posting them. I'm not sure if
IUpiter/Jupiter lenses were made there or in parts of the Soviet Union
that are now Russia. At all odds, I got a roll of Kodak Gold 400 film
(remember film?) out of the freezer, dug the Jupiter lenses out of the
closet, and decided to make a Leica IIIc from 1937 earn its keep. For
the 50mm lens I used the viewfinder in the camera; for the 35mm and
135mm lenses I used a VIOOH/Imarect finder. (If anyone wants to geek
out further about equipment, just ask.)

The pictures below, taken at a lake near my home, are offered as
examples of the lenses' performance. I'm certainly not alleging that
they have any artistic merit! There are examples of the 35mm
Jupiter-12, 50mm IUpiter-8, and 135mm IUpiter-11. I thought I had an
85mm, but, if so, I couldn't find it in time for this exercise. All
the lenses except the 35mm are marked in cyrillic characters.

35mm f/2.8 Jupiter-12 from 1985:

http://www.ampexguy.com/jupiter/03890008.JPG

50mm f/2.0 IUpiter-8 from 1956:

http://www.ampexguy.com/jupiter/03890004.JPG

http://www.ampexguy.com/jupiter/03890005.JPG

http://www.ampexguy.com/jupiter/03890021.JPG

http://www.ampexguy.com/jupiter/03890025.JPG

135mm IUpiter-11 from 1975:

http://www.ampexguy.com/jupiter/03890008.JPG

I had forgotten just how much I love screwmount Leicas! I've used
these lenses before, and, honestly, I didn't remember them performing
nearly this well.

Howard Sanner
leica-users at terrier.ampexguy.com

--