Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 07:34:44 +0100

Friday a week ago, I had a few hours free in Copenhagen before I had to head
to the airport for my flight home. I decided to spend part of this time in
one of Denmark?s great art institutions, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek. The founder
of the Carlsberg brewery, Carl Jacobsen, was an avid art collector and he
set up the original museum next to the brewery, on the outskirts of the
centre of Copenhagen, in 1882. In 1888 he donated his entire art collection
to the Danish state, and a new home for it was built right in the centre of
the city, 5 minutes walk from City Hall and Tivoli?hence the name ?Ny?
(?new?) Carlsberg Glyptotek. It opened in 1897. The original building is
still the main building, but several additions have been built over the
years.

The collection of the museum ranges from Egyptian, Greek and Roman
antiquities to modern art, with a heavy emphasis on French art, including
sculpture by Rodin, Impressionist paintings etc. But I went there to see two
special exhibitions, one of works by French painter Suzanne Valadon
(1865-1938) who had considerable commercial success during her lifetime but
had been somewhat neglected in recent decades, something that this
exhibition was designed to rectify, and it does so very successfully. The
other exhibition was by Danish sculptor Anne-Marie Carl Nielsen (1863-1945),
wife of composer Carl Nielsen but a great artist in her own right. She too
was successful during her life, and several works by her are part of the
urban landscapes of Denmark, including the statue of King Christian IX on
horseback on the square behind Christiansborg, home of Denmark?s parliament.

So I invite you to look at some magnificent art in a magnificent location:
https://www.greatpix.eu/Visit-to-Ny-Carlsberg-Glyptotek/

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman