Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 2/10/2021: a visit with Lili the Swiss Goat Cheese Pusher
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 20:50:22 +0200

On Saturday morning I had good legs, so I went for a longish bike ride in
the mountains, with significant climbing. My destination was the village of
Tibi, where Lili (originally from the German-speaking part of Switzerland,
but in Spain for more than 20 years) makes delicious goat cheese with the
milk sourced from the goats tended by her husband. I have known her for
several years but had not visited her shop for a few months.

After huffing and puffing after 42 km with a brutal 2 km climb up to the
centre of Tibi, I arrived at Lili?s shop and to my delight, there was a
customer there. To my delight, because I had been concerned about the state
of her business during the pandemic:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-nT2czz7/A

As is apparent, Lili sells other things than her cheese in the shop; she
also gives shelf space to various artisanal products made by people in the
surrounding area.

Lili cut me a slice of a delicious, strong cheese:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-hvPJJGn/A

And I bought two other cheeses from her, including a delicious spreadable
cheese with chives, visible on the counter:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Xt6Dv7q/A

Lili told me that during the past year, with the slowdown in the restaurant
business, she decided to slow down and just focus on her shop. Before, she
would spend most of her days driving around to restaurants all over the
province, trying to market her products. Now she just sells to a couple of
local restaurants and relies on walk-in traffic at the shop. She told me
that she is enjoying the calmer life and still makes enough to get by. Sure
enough, just as I was leaving, a group of six customers, visitors from
Madrid, arrived.

This is the storefront, with my bicycle parked in front, and the brown bag
with my cheeses sticking up from my handlebar bag:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-VnQ7Fg9/A

I said goodbye to Lili, rode a few hundred meters to the town?s grocery
store, bought a Coke and took a break before riding home. To get out of Tibi
there is a 2.5 km climb up to 730 meters above sea level, a pass called
Puerto de Tibi which featured in this year?s Vuelta a Espa?a. So I felt
pretty good. For those interested, this is my ride:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7589508150

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman