Subject: [Leica] Of dogs and bokeh balls
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 11:48:14 -0800

?Thanks, Philippe. You are right about the white balance. I got it from a
grey card, but scientific accuracy is not how we perceive. Especially with
an LCD lamp, which shines at several discrete wavelengths, rather than
emitting a broad spectrum like an incandescent lamp. I've warmed up the
white balance as you suggested. My non-photographer friends all prefer the
shot with the smaller circles of confusion, so that's going to remain my
pick. I'll have to figure something else out to do with bigger, weirder
blurs.

Warmed up:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/50725536431/in/dateposted-public/>
"Too cold" original:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1000996.jpg.html>

Katya doesn't do cell phone photos. Maybe I should post an X-ray of my knee.
It HURT after this session--our floors are hardwood, and I was so intent on
getting a picture that I didn't think to use something as a kneeling pad.

--Peter

Philippe wrote:

> The second one is better Peter. Just adjust the WB so that the light
> doesn?t
> look so ? cold ? in the foregrHound.
>
> OTT: I would have liked you to post a photo of self lying on the carpet
> when
> you took these - didn?t your wife have her phone with her then?
>
> ;-)
>

> Amities
>
> Philippe
>

> > Le 16 d?c. 2020 ? 09:28, Peter Klein via LUG <lug at leica-users.org> a
> > ?crit :
> >
> > The other night I noticed that if I knelt on my living room floor, I
> > could
> > line up my neighbor's Christmas lights just above the sofa where my dog
> > Tilly often lounges.  A long shooting session followed. There were many
> > variables.  The size of the out-of-focus lights in the image varied
> > drastically depending on both aperture and how closely the lens was
> > focused. I ended up with this:
> > <https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
> > N04/50725536431/in/dateposted-public/>
> >
> > This picture is actually a composite of two images, one where my dog is
> > expressing herself nicely, and another where the Christmas lights appear
> > separated and recognizable.
> >
> > Here's the original. The bokeh balls are bigger, and intersect like weird
> > Venn diagrams.
> > <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1000996.jpg.html>
> >
> > I like it, too, but I don't think most non-photographers would recognize
> > the bokeh as Christmas lights. Which is why I chose to make the composite
> > for my final image.  What do you think?
> >
> > Leica M10-P and Voigtlander 50/1.2 Nokton. Press F11 and click on image
> > view the flickr image large. Enjoy!
> >
> > --Peter

--Peter, dictating to my iPad
(If it misconstrues, please excuse)