Subject: [Leica] IMG: Madrid, mostly art
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 07:05:22 +0200

Last Friday I made the first trip away from Alicante since coming home from
my last business trip in early March. I have long wanted to make another day
trip to Madrid, alone, to visit art museums at my own pace and generally
enjoy the big city for a few hours. So that?s what I did on Friday, the
first day of my summer vacation. The logistics were simple: I took the high
speed train AVE at 7 a.m., arriving in Madrid at 9:30, spent the day there,
and took a 19:20 train back to Alicante in the evening. I started by
visiting the Museo Reina Sofia, the main contemporary art museum in Madrid,
which houses Picasso?s Guernica painting (no pics of that, as there is a
prohibition against photography in that room, and there are several
attendants to enforce it). I then took a walk in the magnificent Parque de
Buen Retiro, Madrid?s equivalent of New York?s Central Park, and then went
to the recently re-opened Museo del Prado to see (again) some of my own
favourites from previous visits, including the Flemish masters, Hieronymous
Bosch, the Spanish painters Vel?quez, Goya, Murillo etc. In-between I
visited another cultural icon, the bar El Brillante, and had an early lunch
of their excellent version of one of Madrid?s signature sandwiches, the
bocadillo de calamares. After the Prado I walked to the centre of the city
(I walked everywhere; given the epidemic, I did not want to use Madrid?s
metro to move around as I usually do), first Puerta del Sol, heart of the
shopping district, and then Plaza Mayor, a large square containing Madrid?s
old town hall and lined by bars and restaurants that usually making a
roaring trade vastly overcharging the tourists for mediocre food. But not
now. The plaza was virtually deserted, and had I wanted a table at one of
the restaurants that were open for business (quite a few had not bothered to
re-open) I would have had ample choice. The museums were also almost
empty?they are only allowed to let in 1/3 of the usual maximum number of
visitors, but do not even come close to that. This was nice for me, not that
nice for the museums.

The virus-control procedures are quite strict. It goes without saying that
facemasks are compulsory everywhere; to enter the Prado you must submit to a
temperature check and if you score 37.5C or above, you will not be admitted.
I was slightly concerned because I had just spent an hour in the Retiro
park, and the outside temperature was getting close to the afternoon high of
40C, but I need not have worried?my temperature was 36.5. At the Atocha
train station where were gates through which passengers would pass, and the
same rules applied?anybody with a temperature of over 37.5C would not be
allowed to board the train. On the train, none of the usual services were
available?the cafeteria car was closed, no free earphones or newspapers were
distributed as is usually the case, and passengers were encouraged to stay
in their seat throughout the journey and not to talk to other passengers.
Obviously masks were worn by everyone throughout.

Enough words. Here are the photos I took, many of the art works at the Reina
Sofia, a musuem I have visited before but always together with someone else.
This was the first time I really had time to explore it, and I was really
astounded by the quality of Spanish painting in the postwar decades, when
cultural life in this country was constrained by the Franco dictatorship?but
this did not keep its artists from producing excellent work (I see some of
the same when I visit Poland and look at art from Communist times?the
censors were too stupid to catch some of the nuances of modern art; writers
had it more difficult).

So come for a Covid walk around Madrid, that looks familiar and yet very
different from the city I am used to visiting:

http://www.frozenlight.eu/madrid_july2020/
<http://www.frozenlight.eu/madrid_july2020/>

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I?m not arguing, I?m just explaining why I?m right"

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] IMG: Madrid, mostly art)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMG: Madrid, mostly art)
Reply from jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] IMG: Madrid, mostly art)
Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (RicCarter) ([Leica] IMG: Madrid, mostly art)