Subject: [Leica] (Tribute to My Mom) - Bomber Crash
From: amagayneroshak at gmail.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 19:06:54 -0500

Mon, 20 Jul 2020 Howard Cummer <hcummer at gmail.com>wrote:

>Alan,
>These are a wonderful set and the bomber crash was fascinating too. What?s
the story there?
>Howard
=====================================================================================================================
I thought I had explained it in the captions next to the pictures.  In
Hansa Bay, New Guinea, 28th August 1943, a bomb from the camera plane
exploded on the Japanese ship just as a following B-25 was over it, and the
blast blew off the wing and tail of the plane, making it roll over, hit the
water, and then cartwheel over the other ship.  It took me a while, viewing
it large, to figure out the sequence of the damage.  I had correspondence
with the author of "Eightballers", a book detailing the history of the
Eighth Photo Recon Squadron that my father was in.  He gave me the date,
location, and name of the unfortunate pilot.

These were some of the (USAAF) prints from his wartime service that my
father brought home, along with original negatives of his photos.  I've
been
digitizing the best of therm individually over the past months, as well as
two big albums of prints page by page.  Also in his collection is a report
on
daily operations at the Port Moresby base.  All their photographic
processing and maintenance for the reconnaissance squadron was done in
thatched roof huts or tents, under humid jungle conditions.

--
Alan

(Retired)
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978