Subject: [Leica] More fun with comets
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 22:21:40 -0700

Here's my best set from last night's comet hunt.

This shot will show you what I was up against. My chosen site had a
great view, but the old sewage treatment plant, now converted to a
pumping station, was lighting up the sky.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/50131046763/in/dateposted-public/>

I was able to make a bit of lemonade out of that lemon, though:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/50131834767/in/dateposted-public/>

I got lucky on this one, a satellite track "chopping" off the comet's tail:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/50131045688/in/photostream/>

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/50131609141/in/photostream/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/50128829231/in/photostream/>

This is pushing the limit of enlargement.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/50131044783/in/photostream/>

8 second exposures do elongate the stars slightly, for those of us not
blessed with equatorial mount.? But Focus Magic software has a motion
blur correction feature that fixes that quite nicely.? I used it on some
of these.

View large by pressing "L."? Or click on any picture, once to magnify,
again to magnify even more, and again to go back to the original display.

Enjoy!
--Peter

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] More fun with comets)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] More fun with comets)