Subject: [Leica] Eagles in the mist
From: hcummer at gmail.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 21:48:14 -0700

Went this morning back to the eagle lookout on a cloudy, slightly misty day:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSCF7355.jpg.html

Mama eagle was sitting in the nest keeping the chicks warm

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSC_3878.jpg.html

Another view of chick warming - the lack of sunlit shadows pleased me:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSCF7447.jpg.html

After about an hour the Mama called out several times and flew out of the
nest to stand guard several trees away
waiting for the next food delivery from Papa:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSCF7447.jpg.html

Mama extended her right wing as if to dry it - arthritis perhaps?

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSC_3902.jpg.html

Turned left to continue drying:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSC_3904.jpg.html

The aggressive crow and the eagle ignored each other:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSC_3895-Pano.jpg.html

The chicks were left exposed to the cool damp - maybe Mama is toughening
them up Spartan style;

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSC_3924.jpg.html

One chick is growing more quickly - and its feet are much bigger:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Birds/DSC_3909.jpg.html

If survival of the fittest prevails - and it almost always does - the bigger
chick will
eventually push the weaker one out of the nest.

Papa with the fish never did arrive and eventually we had to go for lunch.
He arrived about
10 minutes after we left. Of course.

May be view large if you like. C&C always welcome. Camera info at the top of
each picture.

Howard

Replies: Reply from geneduprey2015 at gmail.com (Gene Duprey) ([Leica] Eagles in the mist)
Reply from j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz) ([Leica] Eagles in the mist)