Subject: [Leica] World Photo Awards: What makes these great?
From: jmilton2 at maine.rr.com (Jack Milton)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:18:16 -0400

I see your confusion. Every contest is a world unto itself; the judges have
to choose from amongst what?s entered. That means a style, a ?look,? a
message, social relevance, a trend, or simply difference can separate the
chosen winner. One contest-winning trend in recent years is black and white
which appears to give an advantage, especially in documentary style
photography.

Other things to consider are the structure and rules of the contest: who is
eligible to enter, is there an entrance fee, do you give rights away by
entering, who are the judges, or is there only one judge, will all places be
awarded?

Note that I didn?t mention the quality of the photography.

In this particular case, it?s a stylish and intimate group of photos
portraying a young immigrant caught between two worlds. It?s black and
white. It ticks almost all the boxes, doesn?t it?

Jack Milton

On Mar 31, 2020, at 10:11 AM, Frank Filippone via LUG <lug at