Subject: [Leica] IMGs x 2: The Emergency
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 02:05:13 +0000

Now that we're all more or less at war with CoVid, it reminded me of
"The Emergency" between 1939 and 1945 which was what we in neutral
Ireland euphemistically called World War Two. My grandfather who was the
Chief Superintendent in charge of the Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park was
given the task of managing the Local Security Forces (LSF) for the
Dublin area for those years.

Here's a picture of him taken during this time - found in a family album
and taken by photographer unknown

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/TFC+in+LSF+1939-45.jpg.html

My grandfather in the greatcoat, and Garda helmet, surveys the damage
the morning after the German bombing of Dublin's North Strand while in
command of the Dublin LSF during the Emergency 1939-1945. His children
remember him leaving the house on the night of 31st of May 1941 dragging
the great coat over his civvies to rush over the 2 miles to the North
Strand as the Heinkels dropped their bombs. He looks exhausted after the
all nighter in the photo. Printed in the Irish Independent but
photographer unknown. Recommended to be seen larger.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Chief+Supt+T+F+Casserly+LSF+in+Garda+helmet+at+1941+Strand+bombing+with+ARP+warden+lrge.jpg.html

Sadly 28 people were killed and 90 injured, while 300 properties were
either destroyed or damaged. Ironically, one of the destroyed properties
was my grand-uncle's bakery at 5 Shamrock Place. His name was Patrick
Swanzy and like my grandfather was an ex-IRA man. Pat was used to
destroyed property as he had burned down Dublin's iconic Custom House in
1921 and most of the Irish Nation Records stored there. Very frustrating
for people researching their families' history like me :-)

I'm also involved a cultural, literary and historical society locally,
and we had to cancel a promising lecture on this bombing on the 26th of
this month due to our current "Emergency".

Anyway, my grandfather was five years older than Pat and the son of an
RIC Sergeant. He joined the British Royal Engineers in WW1, saw action
in Salonika, and was invalided out with malaria after six months trying
to recover in a hospital in Malta. He joined the Dept of Posts and
Telegraphs and initially was recruited by Michael Collins as an
intelligence officer, then as a member of Collins's "Squad". Before
joining the Gardai as an Inspector, he was one of Collins's most trusted
men and the bodyguard for Arthur Griffith (President of Dail Eireann).
He met my grandmother (Pat's sister) at Sinn Fein TD Walter Cole's house
as Cole was the best friend of Griffith. Cole had fallen in love with
and had proposed to my grandmother's sister Chris after her husband the
Abbey actor Sean Connolly had been killed in the 1916 Easter Rising.

My lasting memory of him is getting a gift of a gardening set at
Christmas 1952. I was two and a bit. He died a month later.

Douglas

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] IMGs x 2: The Emergency)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMGs x 2: The Emergency)
Reply from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] IMGs x 2: The Emergency)