Subject: [Leica] The Z7 at the Vancouver Rugby 7's
From: hcummer at gmail.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 08:49:53 -0700

Esther and I attended the Vancouver Rugby 7?s on March 7 and 8 with our
daughter and son-in-law and some of their friends.

I have opened a folder with 26 pictures starting with this one:

This photo and the next two (shift right) are taken with the D500 and the
300 f4.0 Pf:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Rugby+7s/DSC_2372.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada+2020/Rugby+7s/DSC_2372.jpg.html>

The rest of the photos are taken with the Z7 and the 300 f4.0 - sometimes
with 1.4 extender - camera info is posted for each photo.

The wide angle photos beginning with DSCA - those are taken with the Fuji
X100F - by daughter Jennifer.

Toward the end of Saturday?s shooting the eye sensor on the Z7 stopped
sensing and to view a photo on the back LCD
I had to push the view option button on the left side of the view finder
hump. Not a good development.

On Sunday I brought the D500 plus the 300 f4.0 Pf and left the Z7 at home.
From my two days experience my advice
would be ?if you have a D500 don?t sell it for a Z body - the D500 is still
the king for focus capture and follow focus.

The Z7 is not bad for focus capture and follow focus - but it is not in the
same league as the D500. If the photo from the Z7
is sharp having 45 mp to crop from is a real bonus.

On Monday I called the Calgary Camera Shop to exchange the defective Z7
under their 30 day return policy and they agreed. While at
the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal waiting for the ferry back to Pender Island I
did an internet search and discovered that if
the eye sensor gets dirty it stops working. I took the eyepiece cover off,
wiped the sensor, and voila the sensor worked again.

So I haven?t had to return the camera -  and I am very relieved about that.
If you are a Z user I suggest you review this discussion from DP review.
This dialogue is about two years old and Nikon should have fixed this defect
by now. Or at least have highlighted what you must do to get the finder
working again.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63024769
<https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63024769>

Please shift right to see all the photos. They can be enlarged. C&C always
welcome.

Howard

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] The Z7 at the Vancouver Rugby 7's)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] The Z7 at the Vancouver Rugby 7's)