Subject: [Leica] Uluru
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 21:26:45 +0530

Neela & I had gone to Australia for a fortnight in January, marking the
seventh and last continent to visit for me - now I can say that I have
visited the seven worlds of our planet. In between our sojourns in Sydney
and Melbourne we spent a day and a bit at Uluru, the vast monolith that
rises from the scrub deserts of Central Australia. The first set is
relatively straightforward, but the second, which I will post in a day or
two, will be more experimental.

To kick off, here is Uluru bathed by the warm rays of the morning sun, a
few minutes after sunrise, accentuating the red sandstone. Remember,
January is the height of summer, and even though Uluru is thousands of
kilometres away from the bushfires, it reaches 40C very early in the day.

All photographs taken with my new toy, a Nikon Z7 with the Nikkor Z 24-70mm
f4 S kit lens. The best "kit lens" I have ever used!  Together, they make a
fairly compact, lightweight combo that can be carried around the whole day
without effort - it fitted comfortably in a Billingham Hadley Small with
space left over for my Ipad Mini, mobile phone, dark glasses, reading
glasses and a small bottle of water. The perfect travel combo, IMHO. :

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-837.jpg.html

A couple of shots of the twisted trees that grow around the base of the
monolith:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-842.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-843.jpg.html

One of the few permanent sources of water around Uluru is the Mutitjulu
Waterhole, and the next few shots are from there. Because of the water,
this location has been inhabited for 7000+ years, and there is cave art to
be seen in the overhangs there, so we start with that, and go on to
shadows, abstracts and details of the surrounding area:

Cave Painting:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-859.jpg.html

Shadows:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-875.jpg.html

Shadows and Light:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-876.jpg.html

Abstract:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-880.jpg.html

Slope:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-848.jpg.html

Hole in the Wall:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-890.jpg.html

To end this set, three photographs of Uluru and its sister outcrop, Kata
Tjuta, from the air, taken during a sunset helicopter ride which we took to
get another perspective of the area. As the sun went down, the colours
changed fast:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-921.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-955.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200117-987.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] Uluru)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Uluru)