Subject: [Leica] IMG: Oldtimer
From: gwpics at me.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 04:33:42 +0000

It was in 1997 when my wife and I first visited New England. I wanted to
attend the annual Star Island ?escape? of the New Hampshire Society of
Photographic Artists, and it was to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary.
Both of us had always wanted to visit the area for the fall colours, so we
scraped the money together and did the trip.

One of our days was spent travelling the road which was the route of i95
before it became a multi-lane highway, to discover a little of rural America
north of Boston. It tuned out to be a fascinating drive with abandoned
wood-built hotels, and large empty barns, both of which had died when the
traffic deserted the road. We came across a car lot selling rusty old heaps
of autos which I did not understand, but enjoyed photographing. Now there is
a programme here on cable TV called ?American Pickers? and I understand the
American restoration market more, and therefore the old-time autos sat by
the roadside. As it was, I was just fascinated to see them and photograph
some of them.

I was new to Leica having bought my M3 double-stroke about 6 months earlier,
and was using Kodak 400BN film so I could get it processed as I went to
avoid x-ray problems at the airport. I have just been going through the
archives, and I particularly like this image. I may be wrong but I reckon
the price would now be about 4 times what is shown here:

https://gerrywalden.photoshelter.com/index/I0000iNEVenTTEWQ

If anybody knows the make and model of the auto, or the location of the car
lot I would like to know.

Hope you like the image!

Gerry

Gerry Walden