Subject: [Leica] IMG: A Walk in the Woods
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 22:23:33 -0800

Tina:? What a lovely shot. The distant hillsides look otherworldly.

As I mentioned earlier today in your "Kodachrome Scans" thread, I'm not
sure how much of these color shifts are a function of Kodachrome itself,
and how much are due to the aging of the transparencies. Or maybe both.
A lot of old photography books mention bluish "aerial haze" and the need
for skylight or UV filters to compensate. I'm wondering if the dyes used
in Kodachrome were hyper-sensitive to UV, and this manifested itself in
purple clouds and cyan-blue trees, particularly in mid-tones and dark tones.

Back then I was mostly a daily-life Tri-X guy. But I always shot
Kodachrome when I went hiking or on road trips with my family. It was a
time of innocence (to tie in with Paul's Simon and Garfunkel reference).
We didn't worry about laboratory-grade color balancing with
transparencies. We shot daylight or tungsten. We used UV or skylight
filters, or occasionally a CC. And what we got was what we got.? Now, we
have to deal with all that in every shot.? With hundreds of people on
the Internet to tell us how we messed up.

Digital is easier. Except when it ain't.? :-)
--Peter