Subject: [Leica] IMG: a day in Madrid
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 07:35:53 +0200

On Friday I spent the day in Madrid, out on the 7:14 train, home on the
21:15 train, giving me just about 12 hours to walk around Madrid. The main
purpose was to visit an exhibition of 17th century Dutch and Spanish
paintings at the Prado, consisting of 72 works from Prado?s own collection,
supplemented with loans from the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and other Dutch
museums. The idea was to highlight the remarkable similarity between Dutch
and Spanish painters, even in cases where they had never met nor seen each
other?s paintings, such a Vermeer and Vel?zquez. Art historians have
traditionally emphasized the uniqueness of Dutch painting following the
establishment of the Netherlands as an independent state in 1648. This
exhibition puts paid to that idea.

In addition, the PhotoEspa?a photography festival is currently going on,
with interesting photo exhibitions all over Madrid. I had chosen four
exhibitions to visit, but two of them were at the Casa de Am?rica which
turned out to be closed for vacation, so I had to make do with two. But one
of them was a real gem, a very complete exhibition of works by Berenice
Abbott. I was not really familiar with her work until now?she was truly a
remarkable woman and photographer.

And of course I walked around the city a lot, taking lunch at the Mercado de
San Miguel near Plaza Mayor, and spending an hour in the Parque del Buen
Retiro, probably the nicest park in any big city. Think of it as Central
Park but with a couple of art galleries, numerous bars and lots of beautiful
fountains.

August is actually a great month to visit Madrid; it can be hot, sure, but
on the other hand half of Madrid?s population is at the seaside (many in
Alicante where I live), traffic is light, so the air is clean, and the metro
is uncrowded.

Fifty-five images are here:

http://www.frozenlight.eu/madrid_aug2019/index.html

Nathan