Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 9/8/2019: catch of the day
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 08:32:37 +0200

Yesterday (Friday) was one of the six vacation days I have taken during
August. I started the day with a nice but short 40 km bike ride (away from
the coast, it was already 37C by 10 a.m., so I did not want to be in the
mountains too long), then went to the city to walk around Mercado Central a
bit, and finally to El Campello harbour in late afternoon to check on the
cats that live in the fishing part of the harbour. The cats were nowhere to
be seen?I suppose they were hiding from heat somewhere?but instead I bumped
into the daily fish auction. Quite uniquely, in El Campello part of the
daily catch is sold to the general public starting at 6 p.m. The auction is
a Dutch auction, with a starting price that is reduced in increments of 0.10
Euro (prices are per kg of the fish in question) until someone buys it. Each
fisherman sets a minimum price below which no sale will occur (the fish will
then be sold through the regular wholesale channel or simply taken home and
consumed by the fisherman). I did not buy anything, but I did get some
photos.

The fishing boats, all done with the day?s work, cleaned up, and ready for
the weekend:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-zkJhcVJ/A

The trays of fish are brought out:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-wzw52zN/A

Each tray is marked with the total weight (here, 1.1 kg), as well as the
name of the boat, the zone where it was caught (in this case, all close to
our town), and the date of catch (here, today):
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-GWdMgCN/A

Before starting the auction, the auctioneer explains the rules and
entertains the children a bit:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-mDscPNQ/A

And then down to business:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-xJ6rNPZ/A

Touting the virtues of the sardine:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-H6Z32p6/A

Most of the buyers were locals, although I did hear someone speaking Dutch.
And outside in the sun, a gang of French elderly residents were playing
p?tanque. But that will the subject of another post.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain