Subject: [Leica] Moon landing - where were you?
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 18:54:59 -0700

In July 1969, I was working at a summer camp in rural Massachusetts.?
The night of July 20, when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the
moon, we counselors were invited up to the camp director's house to
watch the moon walk. The adults were all out for the night, so we had a
critical mass of unsupervised 15-22 year-olds. With predicable results.?
Many of the assembled used the opportunity to tell raunchy jokes, smoke
cigarettes, and if they had a willing partner, make out (*). I remember
being irritated that it was hard to understand what the astronauts were
saying. I was absolutely enthralled by the moon landing, space-nerd that
I was (and still am).

At one point, I remember wondering if we could ever look at the moon the
same way again.? Would the sight of the moon still be romantic, now that
people had walked on it??? Walking back to my cabin later, I got my
answer.? The full moon was just as romantic as ever, maybe more so. And
I so wished that I had a girlfriend to make out with under it.?? :-)?
That would have to wait a couple of years.

--Peter

(*) For people for whom English is not your first language, "making out"
is mid-century slang for hugging, kissing, petting, etc., as long as the
"etc." didn't go beyond a certain point.

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Moon landing - where were you?)