Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 26/6/2019: testing my new GM5
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 08:09:26 +0200

Inspired by Moose, I have been looking around for a second-hand Panasonic
GM5 to serve as my cycling camera. There is nothing wrong with the GF1 I
have been using for this purpose lately, but it is 11 years old and the
sensor is long in the tooth, something that is particularly evident as soon
the ISO goes above 200. The GM5 is about 5 years younger, has a much better
sensor and is tiny in comparison. They are hard to find, as apparently
people hang on to them. And I can understand why. Last week I finally found
one on eBay, in Norway, and on Wednesday it arrived in my office. I
immediately unpacked the little gem and went about testing it, of course at
high ISO. My test subject were as you might expect. Here are four test
images.

My Greek colleague Eri, at ISO 1250:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-x2LRZp8/A

My usual victim Carolina, at ISO 500:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-zccjSBn/A

The decorations in my office, at ISO 3200:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-CHmg3t3/A

One of the baby cacti in my garden, at ISO 2000:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-4KR4595/A

I think the GM5 will serve me well.

Cheers,
Nathan