Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 8/2/2019: testing a new lens on the beach
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 08:20:15 -0600

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at gmail.com>wrote:

>Looks good!

>What I do when I am on a purely cultural trip is take the X100S and the
>X-E1 with the 56mm f1.2 - makes for an light, fast, highly capable
>35mm/85mm kit. The other thing I do when I really want to travel ultralight
>is to just take the X100S with the superb wide and tele screw on adapters -
>gives me a 28mm/35mm/50mm f2 kit I can carry in my pockets!

>Cheers
>Jayanand
Jayanand, what you take sounds eminently practical, and light.  After 40
years on the job hauling heavy Nikons,
and then Canons with huge zooms, the only multi-focal lens I use is the
5.1-12.8 f/2 Vario Summicron on my
Lumix LX3, for the 24mm or 35mm equivalent settings on the rare occasion
when I want a wider view than 50mm
(from a 35mm Summicron on my X-E2).
My normal bag has LX3, X-E2, 105mm f/1.8 Nikkor, 35mm f/2 Summicron, and a
50mm
lens (choosing from among 50mm Summicron LTM collapsible, 50mm Summicron M
collapsible,
50mm Summicron DR, 50mm f/1.4 Zuiko, 50mm f/1.2 Canon LTM, and even a 50mm
f/1.8 Kern Macro-Switar;
seldom used are a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor and 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar).  I like
the cropped sensor on the X-E2
since 85-90mm was my favorite focal length on film cameras, and now I have
all those choices of what are now
small 80mm lenses.  A 50 is on my camera 90% of the time.

--
Alan

(Retired)
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978