Subject: [Leica] Blood Moon Eclipse practice photo
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 10:47:53 -0500

Jayanand, Howard, and Douglas,

That is correct for a Moon illuminated by the full Sun, as it was when
Howard shot it. At ISO 400 and f/8, the (1/ISO @ f/16) rule of thumb would
call for an exposure of 1/800 or so, just as Howard shot it. Things change
radically as the eclipse progresses.

Before the Moon enters totality, while it?s moving through the penumbra,
illuminated by the partially eclipsed Sun, the correct exposure will
decrease fairly rapidly, as any given point on the Moon will go from
illuminated by the full Sun to entering the umbra in the space of just an
hour. In fact, since the Moon?s diameter is almost exactly the same as the
width of the penumbra, there wil be a moment, as the eastern limb of the
Moon enters the umbra, when the illumination level varies across the Moon
from full shadow to full sunlight.

At the middle of full eclipse, the level of illumination is quite low,
coming from ?all the sunsets in the world? as someone noted ? the sunlight
from the hidden Sun scattered by the Earth?s atmosphere. This is a tiny
fraction of direct sunlight, so a reasonable starting point for f/8 would be
1 sec at ISO 6400. The position of the Moon within the umbra at mid-eclipse,
as well as the degree to which the Earth?s atmosphere scatters sunlight can
cause the brightness of the Moon at mid-eclipse to vary from eclipse to
eclipse, from nearly invisible to rather prominent. So the above settings
are just a starting point. The deep shadow is why you can?t hand-hold at
mid-eclipse. It?s also why it?s difficult to capture both the sunlight and
the shadow portions of the partially eclipsed Moon. Aggressive HDR or
Photoshopping is necessary. The best results come from stacking a number of
images spanning the full exposure range.

Nathan?s point about foreground elements adding interest is well taken. Here
are several images I made of the ?Blood Moon? eclipse four years ago.
Mid-eclipse occurred when the Moon was quite low in the sky as seen from the
eastern U.S., so these images capture foreground trees. In fact, they depict
the whole range of distances from trees just tens of meters away, to the
blue sky at tens of km, to the Moon at hundreds of thousands of km, to the
planet Uranus (the blue-green dot to the left of the Moon) at hundreds of
millions of km, to the stars at trillions of km.

Please view large!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Blood+Moon/Mideclipse+in+Pisces+small.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Blood+Moon/Mideclipse+in+Pisces+small.jpg.html>

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Blood+Moon/Blood+Moon+Eclipse.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Blood+Moon/Blood+Moon+Eclipse.jpg.html>

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Blood+Moon/Mideclipse+1.jpg.html
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Blood+Moon/Mideclipse+1.jpg.html>

Unfortunately, mid-eclipse will happen with the Moon nearly overhead as seen
from here, so no foreground this time unless I tromp through the snow to get
under a tree in the back yard.

Have to go to Home Depot now. We just moved back to Ohio, and when we last
departed we left our snow shovel behind. Eight inches fell yesterday, and I
need to clear a space for my tripod?

?howard

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Blood Moon Eclipse practice photo)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Blood Moon Eclipse practice photo)