Subject: [Leica] IMG: There Was a Time ........................
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 11:25:08 -0500

There was a time when I used Leica gear exclusively, albeit bought
used.? My first real camera was a Leica IIIa (originally a III, factory
converted to IIIa), to which Leica New York had added a flash synch
baseplate and flash gun, flash bulbs only.

As a young USAF Lieutenant, stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, I
explored the camera shops and pawn shops in Dayton.? In the basement of
the Salem Camera Shop, near the intersection of Salem and Lexington, was
a used camera shop run by a real character named "Trader" Horn.? Since
it was close to our apartment, I visited the shop frequently, and,
finally bought the Leica IIIa, complete with a coated Leica Elmar
50/3.5.? It was my only camera for several years.? It produced wonderful
images. But, as my family grew, and my eyes got older, I started looking
for a more friendly viewing system.? Finances would not allow me to
consider the Leicas of that era.? So, I strayed.

I did buy a used Leica IIIf as a graduation gift for my youngest son,
because he had an interest in photography.? He still uses a Panaleica.

Here are three images from 1952, all made with my Leica gear.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20070810-Art+Institute+1952.JPG.html

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20070708-Wide-Gear+Monocoupe+Dayton+OH+04+52.JPG.html

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20070706-Vicki+at+the+Piano+52.JPG.html

--