Subject: [Leica] IMG: Pond turtles and what stalks them
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 17:17:45 -0700

August has turned mild here in the Central Valley and I?ve finally found
wild creatures I can successfully stalk: pond turtles.

More specifically: the pond turtles that reside in ?Putah Creek? at the UC
Davis arboretum.

Here are are pair of western pond turtles at rest on a log. They are
actually a bit skittish. After a few minutes of observation they?ll begin to
resent the too-close observation and slide into the murky green water.

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Home/Around-Davis/i-FSmW6RT/A>

The western pond tutles are the true natives to this area but other species
appear (and are removed) frequently.

Here are a pair of red-eared sliders catching some sun:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Home/Around-Davis/i-5TsWkXS/A>

I have wondered what made these creatures so wary. About 50 yards away I
found out why:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Home/Around-Davis/i-FbMsfTL/A>

A great blue heron, standing on a tree branch hanging over the water, proves
to be an agile predator.

Channeling his inner dinosaur:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Home/Around-Davis/i-hrZWD2C/A>

This bird was absolutely fearless and paid me, a troupe of joggers, chatty
moms with strollers no mind at all. Entirely focused on what might pass
below him.

A week earlier I?d spied a green heron hunting along the same stretch.

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Home/Around-Davis/i-Z38vjwH/A>

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Home/Around-Davis/i-sGb75sK/A>

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Home/Around-Davis/i-rP9Q7Hp/A>

Thanks for looking. Comments/corrections of species ID gratefully accepted.

All of these are with the Fuji X-T2 and the excellent XF100-400MM F4.5-5.6 R
LM OIS WR lens. The exception being the first image of the pond turtles
which was shot with the Sony A7Riii and the (brand new) FE 100-400MM
F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens. I?m still working on that one because the contrast in
the original shot was too great.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] IMG: Pond turtles and what stalks them)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: Pond turtles and what stalks them)