Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Fast and Old Cars
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 00:01:01 +0100

50 years ago Ireland got its first permanent motor racing circuit.
Before hosting the 1903 Gordon Bennett Cup, Ireland had amended its
legislation to permit motor racing on public roads, but had no dedicated
circuit until Mondello Park came along. I marshalled at Mondello when I
was about 17, but drifted away to other sports in my 20s when I realised
I couldn't compete without a lot more money than I had at the time. I
could have robbed a bank, but, as I worked in one, it mightn't have been
a shrewd career move...

Brendan, a friend of mine who still races cars, also marshalled, and
through him I got an invitation to attend the 50th Anniversary race
meeting the weekend before last.? It featured mainly historic cars
including James Hunt's '75 Hesketh Formula One car driven by one of
motor racing's what ifs - Tommy Byrne, and also had a number of Formula
5000 cars which were popular in the late 60s and 70s.

Here are 60 odd shots of the meeting which are all from the pits area as
the invitation included pit passes and a reunion lunch.

Start with this one and click to the right. All of them will probably
look better large.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Sport/Motorsport/2018/Mondello+50th+2018/Brendan+Keane+on+the+right+side+of+the+fence+-+Mondello+50th+2018.jpg.html

All taken with Sony A7ii and kit 28-70 zoom. I left my longer focus
lenses in the car which was a mistake.

Douglas

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] IMGs: Fast and Old Cars)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMGs: Fast and Old Cars)