Subject: [Leica] IMGs: A warm afternoon in Guangzhou Cultural Park
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 10:17:35 -0700

Jet lag grabbed me by the throat while we visited the GZH Cultural Park.
Friends walked through the Museum of the Thirteen Hongs that featured items
from Canton?s early trading days. I?m sure there are epic stories about how
much of this was saved from the ravages of the Cultural Revolution. A
passport was needed to enter (if you?re a foreigner) and I didn?t have mine
with me. So I strolled the grounds while others toured.

I found this broom quite pleasing. The design is completely typical. We saw
them everywhere.

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-China-Adams-Cut/i-fvV6s27/A>

I love this decorative tradition that we saw virtually everywhere:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-China-Adams-Cut/i-SGhsvLs/A>

The grounds served a propaganda role with messages from the state inscribed
everywhere, sometimes with real cultural dissonance:

This one says (essentially) ?Don?t take bribes.? Of course it does. I?d have
chosen exactly this figure for that message:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-China-Adams-Cut/i-Fm5RTRK/A>

This one urged civility and the respect of elders:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-China-Adams-Cut/i-j3j2S78/A>

I enjoyed the feel of it immensely:

And then there was a young policeman, a student policeman I gather, in a
uniform for someone of a much sturdier frame.

He came across a very pregnant kitty soaking up the sun. What would happen?
Cat and spectators wondered!

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-China-Adams-Cut/i-SbbZnV8/A>

There was a greeting:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-China-Adams-Cut/i-QJkVv7r/A>

And then:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-China-Adams-Cut/i-48bB88r/A>

The young man carefully removed fleas. When he walked to the shade the kitty
followed and the nit-picking continued for perhaps a half-hour.

Just a quiet afternoon in the Cultural Park.

Most of these were shot with a Sony NEX-6 I borrowed from my wife.

Enjoy!

Adam

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] IMGs: A warm afternoon in Guangzhou Cultural Park)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMGs: A warm afternoon in Guangzhou Cultural Park)