Subject: [Leica] Wednesday Weeds
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 00:44:48 +0100

Don, that flower looked familiar, and, sure enough, according to the
amateur horticulturist on the distaff side of the family, it's called
Periwinkle or Vinca over here in Ireland and used to be planted in the
dry ground under the old (1850s) and rather huge (and bloody terrifying
- in an easterly gale) cupressus macracarpa in our old garden in Bray.
It liked the dry soil left by the monstrous moistsucker above it and
covered it effectively, as virtually nothing else would grow there
despite the fertilisation of my green fingered wife's salty tears as she
mourned the drying death of yet another aspirational, but failed,
planting. The house was built (shabbily enough) in one of those
evanescent booms on the cricket pitch of a departed preparatory school,
and according to local folklore Samuel Beckett - the future Nobel
literature laureate - used to dangle his legs from the lower branches as
he waited his turn to bat for the school in his formative years.

Douglas