Subject: [Leica] Return of my M9
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 07:43:42 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Dan Khong wrote:

> Friends
>
> By now, some of you would know that when Leica equipment works well and
> especially their lenses, you can take pictures that make people gape and
> gasp, and that brings out all that Leica is famous for.
>
> On the other hand, when Leica equipment fails, many are still loyal to the
> Leica brand. Even at the expense of long waiting repair times. And few
> really complain for they seem happy to wait.
>
> My guess is that Leica has cult status. When it works well that's really
> great. When it does not work well, that is still great because when you
> hold that Leica M9 once again, you are holding a thing of great beauty, a
> thing of great function, a thing that commands respect, and a thing that
> many are willing to give up an arm and a leg for.
>
> I can relate to that when I hold my Leica M3, M4, and M6.

At one time I'd have agreed wholeheartedly.  When everything goes well the
images this equipment produces - particularly the lenses - can be
breathtaking.  I've given my share of arms and legs to keep using the 280/4
APO and even when compared with the best of modern wonderoptics (90-280 APO,
I'm talking about you!) the 280's image quality is mind-boggling.

The trouble is I'm running short of functional limbs to sacrifice to a
company whose indifference leads them to handle my equipment so carelessly.
I hate to say it but for the last 15 months my attitude toward Leica (the
company) has been much like my attitude toward a certain large American
bank: not one more cent.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com