Subject: [Leica] IMG: Bird of Pray
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 01:45:58 +0100

Last Friday was Culture Night all over the Dublin area. One of
Monkstown's offerings was an open night at the local Church of Ireland
parish church which has been standing on the same spot in the village
since 1789, but was modified and extended by John Semple in 1831. When
the modified church was opened that year, a report in one of the
national newspapers said "there wasn't a spot that the eye could rest
without pain." However, by the 20th Century, the church was an avowed
favourite of the British Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman who waxed
lyrically about its design, decoration, and proportions, and said "the
original genius of Semple (is) beginning to be appreciated".

I had only visited the church for the first time in many, many years a
couple of weeks ago for a concert by the Palestrina Boys Choir, but
hadn't the opportunity to explore the place, other than admire its
acoustics. This time, I brought my little Fuji and had the freedom to
wander all over the church, and do my own version of Betjeman. It is
impressive and here is a shot to start.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Monkstown/Monkstown+Church/Bird_of_Pray.jpg.html

More will follow when I get some time over the next few days.

Douglas

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Bird of Pray)