Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 13/9/2017: ceremony
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 22:12:41 +0200

This is the first week of classes at the University of Alicante, and on
Wednesday the official opening of the new academic year took place in the
auditorium of the university. Why was I there? Because the Executive
Director of our office was getting an honorary degree as part of the
ceremony, so I was invited to attend along with the rest of the management
team of the office. There are certain invitations you do not refuse, and
this was one of those cases. So I spent 3 hours in a chair, listening to
speeches, partly in Valenciano, partly in standard Spanish, wishing that I
were somewhere else ;-) But at least one could take pictures, so it was not
a total waste of time.

The auditorium just before things start:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-kPXRhdP/A

The great and the good march in, dressed in funny clothes. This lady is a
professor in the law school, I think:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-pRzxGc3/A

I have no idea who he is but I found his expression amusing:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-8nrPDbc/A

The professor from the second image is giving the speech explaining why the
university decided to award our boss an honorary doctorate:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-mzjffBJ/A

The rector magnifico (president) of the university places a funny hat on the
head of our boss:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-L7GM3tD/A

This was the culmination of the ceremony. After this image, our boss gave a
nice, personal speech, which was then followed by two utterly useless
speeches by a local politician and the rector of the university. And then we
were released.

To put things in perspective: when I got my PhD from the University of
Florida in 1991, I did not bother attending the ceremony. I just picked up
the diploma a few days later from an office at the university. The only
graduation of mine that I have attended was my high school graduation in
Denmark in 1979 and I was not entirely sober on that occasion. I have
attended my children?s various graduations, though, mostly for their sake.

Cheers,
Nathan (who is not into ceremonies unless they involve Liverpool FC winning
a trophy)

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>