Subject: [Leica] IMG: Dickie Harris and me
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 01:45:11 +0100

We went on holiday for a few days to my brother's place in Kilkee, Co.
Clare last weekend.

One of the local heroes is the late actor Richard Harris - Camelot, A
Man called Horse, Dumbledore in Harry Potter. etc., etc. - who won the
Tivoli Cup for a record four years in a row from 1948 to 1951. The Cup
is for racquetball and has been played for since 1935, while this local
variant of racquetball - possibly the original - has been played here on
the beach since the 19th century, and is reputed to have been codified
for the first time in Kilkee. The games are held on the beach when the
tide is out, and each summer, sections of the high sea wall are painted
white and used as courts. Harris who was also a brilliant schools rugby
player, apparently dominated all in his day, and his achievement has
never been equalled.

Harris who kept a house in Kilkee for most of his life, had a statue
erected in his honour after his death. Personally, I don't think the
statue does him justice as the resemblance is poor.

Anyway, as it is on the side of the scenic cliff walk overlooking the
Atlantic, it attracts all types - including old fat men. Here is one,
being photo-bombed as his wife takes a photo of him. I have no idea who
the child is.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Kilkee+2017+Harris.jpg.html

Douglas

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Dickie Harris and me)