Subject: [Leica] M typ 240 EVF questions
From: jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 14:25:26 -0400

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Akhil Lal <alal at nyu.edu> wrote:
> A question for  M 240 owners. When used with the EVF just  how easy (or
> hard)  is it to focus a long lens (180/200 mm FL)?
>
> I am thinking about  the Leica 240 upgrade offer and would be using my
> remaining R lenses  with a 240  lens adapter +EVF, and would like to get a
> sense of just how well the 240+EVF  works with R lenses in practice. Is it
> 'adequate', or better than that?

The M240 EVF lag makes focusing on any *changing* situation problematic,
regardless of focal length.

...but I find using the EVF to focus on relatively static scenes works very
well; I especially love it for still life or macro kinds of shooting with
the camera locked down on a tripod.  With the ability to magnify the area
where focus is critical, and electronic amplification of brightness where
needed, I can focus *more* precisely with the M240 EFV than I could on an
R's groundglass.

It's just not quick.