Subject: [Leica] Eclipse photos
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 18:48:24 -0700

Well done, Howard! I pretty much took Larry's advice, except for the
part about not traveling to the totality band.? I've seen many eclipse
pictures on TV and the Internet, and this time I was going to be there.
I figured that between NASA and my photographic friends, I'd have ample
opportunity to see good pictures. So I just took my one "contextual"
record shot of totality, and spent the rest of the time watching through
my binoculars.? As we've both said, the experience was mind-blowing.

Traffic getting to our eclipse area was not a problem a day before, nor
was travelling at 3-5am from our hotel 85 miles away to the town in the
totality band.? Traffic going home over 2 days was horrible. We hit a
backup at almost every populated place, adding 40-50% extra travel
time.? Each time we encountered a delay, we just laughed and said,
"Yeah, but we saw the eclipse!"

--Peter

 > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Eclipse/
 > <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Eclipse/>
 >

 > As a lifelong amateur astronomer and photographer, I sympathized with
Larry
 > Z?s recent advice to forget about photographing the eclipse and just
watch
 > it.
 >
 > As a lifelong amateur astronomer and photographer, I felt free to
ignore the
 > advice!
 >
 > My son and I drove from Raleigh and Charlotte to the town of Murphy,
where
 > the path of totality would cross the extreme SW corner of North
Carolina.
 > Weather turned out better than predicted: Hardly a cloud to be seen,
and not
 > one on the face of the Sun until 5 seconds after the Moon fully
departed it.

 > To supplement the visual enjoyment, I brought my 100-mm binocular
telescope
 > with eyepieces for 21x and metal-on-glass filters to go over the
objective
 > lenses. These came off at totality for what turned out to be a
spectacular
 > view of the Sun?s corona and numerous prominences rising up past the
 > silhouette of the Moon. I also brought my Nikon D810A with an 80-400
Nikkor
 > zoom equipped with a similar filter. I did experience some frustration
 > trying to get good focus with the camera, and I wonder whether the
quality
 > of the glass filter was not good enough to match the native
performance of
 > the lens. There is a neutral-density glass filter with nearly the same
 > optical density as this reflective filter, and I?m tempted to try it
just to
 > see if I can get better detail on the Sun.
 >
 > In any case, the experience of watching a total eclipse of the Sun
was every
 > bit as spectacular and ethereal as I?d hoped it would be. I?d seen
numerous
 > partial eclipses, and I can tell you that no partial eclipse of less
than
 > 99% or so prepares you for that happens as that last 1% disappears, and
 > nothing at all about a partial eclipse even resembles the sight of
totality.
 > During the partial phase there?s a dark bite out of the Sun in a
bright sky,
 > but as the last sliver of Sun disappears, the level of illumination
drops
 > precipitously and dramatically, and the winking out of the last
remnant is
 > like?no, it?s NOT like anything else. The whole world goes dim, fast and
 > shockingly. And whereas the partially eclipsed Sun of practically any
degree
 > still looks like a brilliant spot too bright to look at in a blue
sky, the
 > eclipsed Sun is totally different. There?s now a glowing nimbus
surrounding
 > a terrifying black hole where the Sun used to be, none of which was
visible
 > until totality. It?s other-worldly and sinister. We?re used to seeing
 > nothing change in real time in the heavens, just slow day-to-day
changes and
 > a constant, reliable Sun. In the last seconds before totality we see the
 > actual movement of heavenly bodies and then the obscuration of the
Sun, and