Subject: [Leica] IMG: G3
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 01:00:55 +0100

Some of you may know this chappie as he had some dealings with your
fathers - Founding Fathers that is. Now in the National Gallery of
Ireland, this is John Van Nost's statue of King George III presented to
Dublin City Hall in 1765, and still there when my grand uncle Sean led
his troops in to take over the City Hall during the 1916 Easter Rising.

Sony A7ii and kit zoom. See Large.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/G3.jpg.html

The bronze statue was modeled from life by Van Nost who went to London
for the purpose. Apparently, William Makepeace Thackeray, in his "Irish
Sketch Book," refers to this work as "a pert statue of George III in a
Roman toga simpering and turning out his toes." For you film and camera
buffs, Thackeray also wrote "Barry Lyndon" which Leica fan Stanley
Kubrick turned into a sumptuous piece of celluloid. Regarding the
statue, my grand uncle lay dying on the roof above it, having been shot
by a British sniper hiding in Dublin Castle.

Douglas

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMG: G3)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: G3)