Subject: [Leica] Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO)
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 06:36:28 +0530

By far the single most stimulating place that we visited in our recent
sojourn in Canada was the Frank Gehry designed Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO)
in Toronto. The master architect's hand was everywhere in the public spaces
in the interior, from the play of shadows and natural light, beguiling
archways and a truly spectacular Douglas Fir clad staircase. The whole
effect can be encapsulated in just one word - stunning! It has a permanent
exhibition of 75,000 pieces of art and covers everything from the Dutch
Masters to current contemporary art, with, naturally enough, a huge
collection of Canadian Art. We only discovered this on our last evening,
and went there primarily to see a Georgia O'Keeffe exhibition, and ended up
staying a few hours till it closed! The O'Keeffe exhibition had a huge
bonus - tons of prints from her partner Alfred Steiglitz (including a
section of photos of her private parts, which, for some unfathomable
reason, seems to be all the rage nowadays), Ansel Adams, including a full
size, gorgeous Moonrise and Paul Strand.

Shadows And Light:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-657.jpg.html

Arch 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-612.jpg.html

Arch 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-613.jpg.html

Arch 3:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-614.jpg.html

Arch 4:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-618.jpg.html

The well of the stairs, with the evening sun staining the Douglas Fir
cladding to almost blood red:

Staircase 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-662.jpg.html

Staircase 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-666.jpg.html

Staircase 3:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-663.jpg.html

Some of the exhibits

Georgia O'Keeffe:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-607.jpg.html

Face Off:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-677.jpg.html

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-672.jpg.html

Curiousity:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-644.jpg.html

The Big Dot:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-606.jpg.html

Finally, the dazzling and welcoming sun dappled cafeteria, with a Rodin at
the end!

Cafeteria:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-624.jpg.html

Waitress:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-625.jpg.html

Sizzle:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/canada/AGO/Canada-20170722-637.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO))
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO))