Subject: [Leica] IMG: Good Friday in Alicante
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 20:43:03 +0200

I apologise if I am spamming you with images, but it has just been a
photographically rich couple of weeks. Easter is a big deal here in Spain,
for many reasons: several days off (Friday and Monday are holidays here),
the traditional onset of beach weather in this part of the country, and of
course the religious significance. There are processions every day beginning
with Palm Sunday and ending Easter Sunday. In previous years, I have gone to
the grand finale on Sunday, but this year I decided to go to the Good Friday
procession which tends to me more somber than the Sunday one. There were
actually four different processions yesterday. The one I chose was Nuestra
Se?ora de la Soledad, starting around 8:30 pm from one of the Alicante?s two
main churches, Bas?lica de Santa Maria, and lasting for 3 hours or so. I
just hung around for the beginning, and the passage through a cozy little
square a couple of hundred metres down the road. This little gallery of 33
images will give you an idea of what it looks like in our part of Spain:

http://www.greatpix.eu/Viernes-Santo-2017/

I always find it deliciously ironic that I, an agnostic Jew, go to see these
processions every year while my Catholic wife stays at home?she dislikes big
crowds.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman