Subject: [Leica] 90 Summicron (Canada): still front-focussing!
From: peter.cheyne at gmail.com (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:27:59 +0900

Thanks Luis,

I won't be needing the 6-bit coding. I've asked Leica Germany for a price
estimate. I hope it's not too much. Don Goldberg was suggesting around
$150. John Van Stelten said it could cost between $175 and $250. Someone at
LightPro on behalf Gerry said:

We adjust the lenses to the factory standard on the Leitz equipment for the
standards of the film era. The critical testing and adjustment adjustment
for digital use is only possible with the aid of computerized optical
adjustment and MTF calibration. Such equipment, and the skill to use it, I
think is only existing at the factory in Wetzlar. We have had issues
similar to this and sent lenses to Leica NJ, and they ended sending them to
Germany.

Also, I think all three of these (Gerry, Don, John Van S) said that under
no circumstances should the focus be corrected by grinding the cam on the
lens.

Fingers crossed for an affordable price for the Leica estimate.
Canadian-made chrome 90 Summicrons sell used for around $500 to $600, so I
was really hoping for somewhere around the $150 mark, especially as I'll
have shipping from and back to Japan to pay too.

Peter