Subject: [Leica] Memories of Tom
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 21:51:13 -0800

Hello Luggers,

When, on a Friday, I am in Vancouver and not on Pender Island

I always go to the Zen Caf? on Yew Street for breakfast with Tom and

group, including Henning when he is in town.

The free form conversation covers whatever topics come to mind including old
favourites like Leica rumors, new Cosina lenses (which Tom consulted on)
local issues, bike lanes, rising real estate values and the political state
of the world. And should the conversation slow Tom would enliven it with a
story.

When I went to Zen last Friday I arrived early and Tom was sitting at his
usual table by the door. We had a few minutes alone together before anyone
else arrived.

I asked how he was and he said that he was seeing a lot of doctors and not
feeling up to par.

He hoped for improvement by the Spring and suggested we do a photo walkabout
in the neighbourhood I had recently moved to. I thought that was a great
idea. But it is not to be.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada2017/TomDennisBWw.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada2017/TomDennisBWw.jpg.html>>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada2017/CA153977TomBWw.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada2017/CA153977TomBWw.jpg.html>>

Today I went to Zen and met Henning and others there. Tom was not there. We
didn?t know that he had passed away.

I was disappointed because I had been to the Walker Evans photo exhibition
at the Vancouver Art Gallery on Thursday and I had some questions for Tom
about Evans use of a Contax 35mm camera with a 50mm Sonnar f2.0 lens and
then later Evans use of a Nikkor 21mm f4.0 lens on his Leica 111 F. I didn?t
think Nikon made a 21mm in an LTM mount and I?m sure Tom would have had the
answer.

As all his many friends know Tom was a remarkable raconteur. I enjoyed
traveling with him to Photokina (twice) and touring him around Hong Kong.
The depth of knowledge he had about cameras, especially rangefinders, was
prodigious.

I hope breakfast on Fridays at the Zen continues as a tribute to Tom. But, I
am not sure that it will continue as he was the animator that encouraged it
and brought it to life.

Sadly,

Howard.

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Memories of Tom)