Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Storm Angus
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 23:20:45 -0000

I try to swim every day in the sea which can be difficult as it gets colder
and the weather gets rougher. Yesterday, we were in the middle of Storm
Angus and the spray from the waves when they broke on the rocks were the
height of a three storey building. I drove over a couple of miles to swim in
a severely tossing sea at Sandycove Point as it has the benefit of a small
harbour albeit with strong currents.

The wind was north easterly and very very strong, so the Forty Foot swimming
hole on the northerly side of the Point was far too dangerous as it was
taking the full onslaught of the sea. Spindrift was being carried 150 metres
up the road, and there was a Small Craft Warning from the Irish Weather
Service. I ignored it, as I'm not small, and not particularly crafty.
Getting in was easy, but getting out was bloody hard, but I survived. I
bought a camera along, but, as I was in a rush to catch the tide and the
dying light, I forgot to check it. The battery went flat after two quick
handheld photos - see below.

Sadly, the swimming streak ended today as I was caught up in other things,
despite it being a much calmer day. Hopefully, I'll be back in tomorrow, but
we'll see.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/SandycoveDalkey/Sandycove_Storm1a.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/SandycoveDalkey/Sandycove_Storm2a.jpg.html

Both taken with the little Fuji, and can be seen large.

And if you're wondering, do they not have swimming pools in Ireland? The
answer is yes, we do, but I love sea swimming as the sense of exhilaration
can be profound. OK it's cold and I don't bother with a wetsuit, but after
you get out you feel great. I normally swim in Seapoint just a couple of
pedal strokes from my driveway and then a quick zip downhill, but it has
been freezing - 4 degrees celsius - in the water. The way Sandycove Point is
shaped you can get some sort of
shelter from the intensity of the wind and waves no matter what direction
they're coming from. I swam west from the pier on the harbour and back into
it where I exited as fast as I could, and back into my clothes

Here's a link to it on Google maps, but you have to use a bit of imagination
as the tide was flat out when the image was taken and there's sand showing
in the little harbour. The water level rises 4.4 metres between low and high
tides.
https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.288939,-6.1144699,233m/data=!3m1!1e3

One thing I have definitely learned is where the rip tide is during stormy
conditions, and that it's way warmer than Seapoint on very cold days. That
long
flat sandy topography at Seapoint DOES chill the water by an extra 4 or 5
degrees celsius as the tide inches its way in over six hours. Sandycove
which always
has plenty of water felt like a bath in comparision. Who'd have thunk it?

Douglas

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMGs: Storm Angus)