Subject: [Leica] A Tale of Two Butterflies
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 10:38:10 -0500

I would like to clear up the butterfly puzzle that has been bothering me
since yesterday, when I posted two shots of a blue-gray butterfly that I
called a Gray Hairstreak, because it appears in several on-line photo
sets under that name.  However, I had captured a Gray Hairstreak three
weeks earlier, and the markings were somewhat different.

After consulting with Dean Hansen, the OM list butterfly authority, I
now know that the recent sighting is an "Eastern Tailed Blue".  Dean
kindly pointed out the specific markings that detail the differences.  I
have corrected the titles and will add the links below in case anyone
wants to take another look.

Eastern Tailed Blue (the tail is more visible in the next image)
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Gray+Hairstreak+on+Goldenrod.TIFF.html

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Gray+Hairstreak+2.TIFF.html

A Gray Hairstreak captured with my  1890 Ross London lens
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Soldier+_amp_+Hairstreak.TIFF.html

Note the difference in alignment of the spots on the outer part of the
wings, as well as the blue spot between the two orange spots.

Thanks for your patience.  And thanks again, Dean, for the quick
response and help.

--
Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA