Subject: [Leica] Toucans
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 17:14:47 +0530

We are nearing the end of the Pantanal photographic odyssey, maybe one more
post after this tying up the odds and ends I missed out on posting. I thank
everyone for bearing with me through this barrage of photographs!

Toucans, together with Macaws, are the best known birds of South America in
general, and Brazil in particular. The Pantanal area plays host to two
types of toucans - the lesser known, small and colourful Chestnut-eared
Aracari, and the spectacular and familiar Toco Toucan. All these are from
the grounds of our last lodgings, a working ranch cum hotel called Pousada
Pouso Alegre, as well as the feeders the owners have installed. This place
is a veritable paradise for birders, as, indeed, is the whole Pantanal
region. I never did get a clear view of a Toco Toucan in flight, so never
did get an acceptable shot of that.

The Chestnut-eared Aracari is a colourful bird!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/Pantanal-20160820-16434.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160820-15912.jpg.html

Fun at the feeders. Papaya seemed to be a universal favourite:

Papaya Toss:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160820-17071.jpg.html

Duet:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160820-17296.jpg.html

The Toco Toucan is as spectacular in the flesh as it is in photographs. A
wary bird, it would slowly descend from the highest branches down to the
feeders, gronking all the time!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/Pantanal-20160820-16504.jpg.html

Morsel:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160820-17360.jpg.html

Full Frontal:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160820-16701.jpg.html

The Food Toss!:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/Pantanal-20160820-16348.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160820-16729.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Brazil/Pantanal/untitled-20160820-16830.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Toucans)
Reply from george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Toucans)