Subject: [Leica] How did 50mm become the "normal" lens for 35mm cameras?
From: abridge683 at fastmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 14:45:06 -0700

Let me back up a moment.

I was taught that a ?normal? lens is one whose focal length matches the
diagonal of the film/sensor frame.

For 35mm film as shot by, say, a Leica M6, that turns out to be 43mm -
midway between a wide 35mm lens and a 50mm lens which I have sometimes seen
called a ?short telephoto? perhaps even by B&H.

Now as I remember from my cinema days 35mm movies are shot at the same
aspect ratio as still but have different dimensions since they are shot with
the long edge running across the film instead of the short edge as is the
case for full frame 35mm film photography (except, I?m guessing, half-frame
35mm but now I?m totally out of school having never seen one of these
cameras.

That?s where I?m coming from. And wondering why we don?t see more
40-something focal length lenses. I know that there 48?s out there? Nikon
maybe from the old days? Mark Rabiner, you talked about this at some point,
I think.

Thanks

Adam

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] How did 50mm become the "normal" lens for 35mm cameras?)