Subject: [Leica] FYI - LFPF Censorship and Moderation
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 11:20:17 -0700

I posted the below to this thread:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?132969-
LFPF-censorship-and-moderation

and in 12 hours, it has over 8000+ views, much higher than the average. And
a moderator equates the task of allowing the photographs with the stories
(the subjects' words, not mine) to moderating threads with Nazi and KKK
images (!)

*************************
This is archived as http://richardmanphoto.com/web
/LFPFcensorshipandmoderation.html

I believe the LFPF (Large Format Photography Forum) moderators have finally
crossed the line into censorship. As related fallout, I now expect to be
banned and this post deleted, but if that's the case, then so be it. I will
have saved a copy of this post.

The original post in question is this:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?
131071-Hearts-On-Our-Sleeves-Portraits-and-Stories-of-Transgender

If the thread gets deleted, it's saved as a PDF file here:
http://richardmanphoto.com/web/HeartsOnOur%20Sleeves_%20Port
raitsandStoriesofTransgender.pdf

I created the original thread to post images from my 4x5 film portrait
project "Hearts on Our Sleeves, Portraits and Stories of Transgender People
on large format 4x5 film". The initial post was made on May 21, 2016 and
currently (Aug 23, 2016) has 2800+ views. I had been posting my portraits
on the forum's (Monthly) Portraits threads, but I thought that this
cohesive project should stand by itself, so that when I post a new image,
the viewers could see the images from the beginning if they wish.

I had received only positive comments on and off the thread since the
beginning, until Aug 22nd when one person, "Kent" raised a question as to
"why is a political thread in a photography forum". Note that all the image
posts are accompanied by text and stories from the image subjects
themselves, documenting their personal experiences. As I and several other
members made replies to"Kent", eventually the moderators decided to close
the thread because they seem to have deemed that it's too "political", or
"controversial".

You can see for yourselves that I am not the person who introduced the
subject of alleged "politics" into this. The moderators could have deleted
all comments deemed political and otherwise left the thread alone; this
sort of deletion is frequently done on this forum.

When I inquired whether I can post future images in the (Monthly) Portraits
posts, I was informed that it would be OK, and I can even post that they
are part of such and such project, but I cannot post the text that
accompanies the images. Note again that all the text are descriptions from
the people being photographed themselves, and not my editorial commentary.

This where I feel I have to take a stand. While I agree with the great Mary
Ellen Mark that good photos can stand up without words, and I do believe
this series of portraits do well enough without words, I also feel that the
subject's personal stories are important to enhance the depth of
understanding of the photos. The photos are of a subset of members of
American society from all walks of life, not even any kind of "radical
fringe group" or any organization with a specific political bent. There is
nothing inherent political about these people's individual stories; there
is however a current political climate which actively encourages the
arbitrary demonization of various groups of people, including transgender
people, that may make their personal stories appear to some to be
"political".

By exercising censorship, I believe that the moderators have clearly
entered into the political fray themselves. I think this is an object
example of how the voices of minority groups are routinely silenced, even
under the possible auspices of "good intentions".

I do not know how long this thread will last, but here I stand.

--
"Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram

Replies: Reply from ric at cartersxrd.net (RicCarter) ([Leica] FYI - LFPF Censorship and Moderation)