Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Friday's flowers on Saturday
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 13:44:44 -0500

> On Jul 23, 2016, at 12:19 PM, RicCarter <ric at cartersxrd.net> wrote:
>
> what?s up tiger lily?
>
> lovely capture
>
> ric
>

>> On Jul 23, 2016, at 12:20 PM, George Lottermoser <george.imagist at
>> icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> C & C always welcome and appreciated
>>
>> <http://www.imagist.com/blog/?p=11037>

thanks ric.

While I?m not really a ?know your plants and birds and frogs guy?
I stumble around at attempting to learn and retain information;
with limited success.

This specimen so impressed me when we first moved into this home
that I learned:

Turk's-cap Lily
Lilium superbum L.
Turk's-cap lily flowers have a green star at the center,
which makes a good identifying mark for this plant.
The green star will distinguish Turk's-cap lily from tiger lily (Lilium
trigrinum),
a plant from Asia that sometimes escapes from gardens.

        ? Family: lily (Liliaceae)
        ? Habitat: wet meadows and woods
        ? Height: 3-7 feet
        ? Flower size: 2-1/2 inches across
        ? Flower color: orange
        ? Flowering time: July to September
        ? Origin: native

These blooms do have a ?subtle" green star in the center
and this year it stands nearly 6 feet tall.

Yet you cause me to doubt what I thought I knew in IDing the damn thing.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog