Subject: [Leica] IMG: Sierra County birds
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 09:03:36 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

In the spring many of California's birds migrate to the nearby Sierra Nevada
mountains so naturally that's where I go too.  The rural and wilderness
regions north of Lake Tahoe have good habitat diversity and low human
density which makes it one of my favorite parts of the state.

The Sierra Valley is east of the Sierra Nevada crest on the western edge of
the sagebrush typical of North America's Great Basin, the region between the
Sierra Nevada and the Rocky Mountains.  Springs fed by Sierra Nevada
snowmelt have created a marsh in the middle of the sagebrush where numerous
species nest.

Wilson's Snipe, singing:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/scolopacidae/gallinago/wisnip05.html

Wilson's Phalarope:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/scolopacidae/phalaropus/wiphal03.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/scolopacidae/phalaropus/wiphal04.html

Unlike most species with sexual dimorphism, female phalaropes have the
brighter colors.

Sage Thrasher, the sagebrush equivalent of the Northern Mockingbird:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/mimidae/oreoscoptes/sathra01.html

The nearby forests harbor the elusive Black-backed Woodpecker.  This nest
was about 4 miles off the paved roads.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/picoides/bbwood04.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/picoides/bbwood05.html

No Leica content :(