Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Butcher Shop
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 21:24:48 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I seem to remember seeing sides of beef/pork/lamb hanging
in alleys of towns/cities along the Med (as a young drunken
sailor) mid 70s always covered with green mold, was suppose
to protect the meat as it aged? I ate a lot of fish back
then!  ;-)

Montie

>>Yes, they do have refrigerators in the cities.  Most home refrigerators are
tiny things about 1 foot square so people have to shop every day for fresh
ingredients.  The butcher shops have glass-fronted refrigerators but a lot
of the meat is displayed out in the open where flies can land on it and
do!  I don't really understand that.  Many of the rural shops have no
refrigeration at all. There are lots of flies.  Maybe they understand flies
and meat better than we do???  I know we have lots of problems with e-coli
and bacteria.  Some people say that more bacteria is better because you get
used to the germs!  I heard an NPR report on The Dirt Cure which says we
should be exposed to more bacteria!  Who knows!??  I say all things in
moderation, bacteria included.

Tina